Cowlitz Reptile Rescue™ is a Washington State Certified Wildlife Sanctuary and licensed Rescue Facility specializing in reptile care and rehabilitation.
Our mission is simple; to help unwanted, sick and injured reptiles. Any species of reptile or amphibian is a candidate for our help. We focus our efforts on captive pet reptiles, but we also assist in wildlife rehabilitation and public education. We have helped countless captive reptiles find homes, and returned many native reptiles back to the wild.
Cowlitz Reptile Rescue™ charges no fees of any kind.
We are completely volunteer and rely solely on donations.
The welfare of animals and their owners is our only priority.
We operate under a strict set of
- Provide food, shelter, and protection for the animal's welfare, not for profit.
- Conduct no activity that is not inherent to the animal's nature, natural conduct, or the animal in its natural habitat.
- Never use any animal for commercial activity or for any type of entertainment purpose.
- No unescorted public visitations or direct contact between the public and an animal.
- No breeding of animals occurs in the facility.
- Obtain professional veterinary care for the animals as needed.
- Not sell the sheltered animals. Animals are adopted to screened homes that are appropriate for that species and individual.
- Keep current on emerging care and treatment practices for all species commonly seen in our facility.
- Accept and maintain only those animals which we can afford to keep in a humane and safe environment.
- Discourage the breeding of animals already commonly available within the pet trade industry.
What we do:
We help arrange for the placement of captive pet reptiles into suitable homes. We make every effort to ensure that the new home and reptile pet will be compatible. We have foster homes that can take in a limited number of unwanted pets, and we help coordinate direct transfers from owner to adopter when we cannot take in an animal ourselves. Injured, sick or dangerous animals that are not adoptable or require long term care become permanently established in a rehabilitation or education program.
We pride ourselves in offering the animals in our care the very best habitats and diets possible. All enclosures are secure and environmental controls are fully
automated. Cage environments duplicate the animal’s natural habitat as close as possible. Food items are always fresh, feeding is constantly supervised, and vitamin and mineral supplements are used
accordingly. Wild reptiles are never housed with captive animals, and we follow all recommended quarantine and husbandry protocols as published by the -Association Of Zoos And Aquariums-
Safety is of utmost concern!
We take every possible measure to ensure our animals and staff are safe at all times. Our enclosures are escape-proof and locked. Only appropriate equipment is used
when transporting or handling animals and we always keep positive control.
Medical care is always available.
We provide on-site intensive care, including IV's and tube-feeding. We conduct routine fecal exams for parasites and general health assessments. Enclosures and animals are tested for bacteria and other environmental agents to ensure our facility is clean and safe. We maintain a BSL-2 capable laboratory on-site with full diagnostic, testing and medical procedure capabilities.
We DO NOT provide professional medical care or services for any
We have a strict - No-Kill - policy...
We absolutely will not put any animal to sleep unless they are
Only when euthanasia is recommended due to an incurable or untreatable terminal medical condition do we consider ending an animal's life.